About the Darkfire RPG
Darkfire is a free multiplayer online roleplaying game (RPG).
The main challenge lies in the development of your player-character, in a medieval, fantasy-style world.
My vision with this game, Darkfire RPG, is to revive the virtue of old-school RPG classics:
- Interesting gameplay mechanics instead of flashy graphics.
There is lots of stuff to be discovered.
- You will be challenged. Don't expect to win all the time without effort and strategy.
- It is possible to build insanely powerful characters (with dedication). While there is a proper game balance, reaching "byond the rules" is allowed to a certain extent.
Here is a list of game features that I consider worth mentioning:
- For each level-up you gain four stat points. You can spend these points to increase either vitality, combat mastery, magic potential, spiritual power or to learn additional skills. It's up to you to decide if you want more life points or more mana, increase your damage or to learn a fancy new skill...
- Each class (wizard, warrior, ranger...) comes with a set of skills which are unique to that class. You are not bound to any specific play-style however, because you are free to learn new skills of any type you like. Of course some combinations of skills and attributes work better than others - but there are plenty of options to mix and match.
- There are many different types of equipment to be found (most notably weapons and armour). Additionally all of these can have random magical bonuses. If you are very lucky, a single item can even have multiple bonuses. The number of possible combinations is virtually unlimited and chances can be so slim that nobody may ever get the same equipment that you have.
- Some skills can only be found randomly (and rarely). So there may be chances for your character to learn some cool skills which are not available to other players. Of course the effects of such skills can vary greatly. It may be a damaging spell like the fireball, or a protection-spell that increases your armour.
- Eventually, you may find a rune. These can be applied to one skill of your choice - improving it's effect. Different types of runes will alter your skills in different ways. Runes are hard to find and they cannot be picked up (so they cannot be transported and traded).
- The robot class offers a radically different approach to the game: It has four arms and can thus wield two weapons and two shields. Due to it's mechanic nature though, the robot cannot use any form of magic and it cannot drink potions.
- The mutant class also offers a radically different approach to the game: It cannot use any equipment like the other classes do, but it can develop intrinsic abilities from the digestion of monster flesh. These abilities can also have random bonuses of course...
- Player versus Player combat is possible by meeting in a special PvP arena map.
In this small village you will start your game.
There are shops like the smithy where you can buy basic equipment.
There are many items to be found - and they may have plenty of different magical bonuses.
This lucky player has found a ring of poison protection.
The wizard is focused on his magic abilities, like the fireball.
Due to this, he needs a lot of mana. Boosted with the right equipment and attributes,
the wizard's spells are quite deadly.
Creating a new character is simple. Click on the arrow buttons to change the class.
Each class has unique abilities.
When you level up, you get four stat-points. You can spend these to develop your
character's attributes: vitality, combat mastery, magic potential or spiritual power. Choose wisely.
The robot has four arms and can thus wield two weapons and two shields!
The combat damage you can attain with this setup is quite spectacular.
Unfortunately the robot cannot practice any form of magic - and it cannot drink potions.
You can find spellbooks and learn amazing new skills. Learning a skill costs a few of those
stat points that you get from level-ups. Here you see a warrior who has just learned
a spell that allows you to shoot small magical tridents.
You can communicate with the inhabitants of the Darkfire world.
Some folks just provide helpful information, others may even offer to sell you something
or teach you a new skill.
Solve quests to get special bounties and extra experience. Especially in the beginning,
quests are also helpful for guiding you in the right directions.
The quest interface helps you to keep track of your tasks.
This is the new java-based client.
Check out the following game guide sections: